WHy we do it
Innovation and knowledge transfer can be a valuable pathway for making leading-edge research relevant to society. We work together with QUT researchers to allow wider groups of people to benefit from new technologies and innovations developed at QUT. Some of the key benefits include:
- University research and innovation becomes valuable to society, through adding new products and services that improve the quality of life
- Financial reward to inventors for successful commercial deals.
- Re-investment of revenues into future University research.
- Track record of commercial success can aid in attracting future research funding.
- Strong networks and linkages with industry partners.
- Contribution to Queensland and Australia’s economic growth through job creation, creating new businesses, revenue generation and global investment into local projects.
The Queensland University of Technology (QUT) is well known as ‘a university for the real world’ because of its close links with industry and relevant teaching and applied research. Based in Brisbane, it has approximately 40,000 students, including 6,000 international students, with over 4,000 staff members, and an annual budget of more than AU$750 million.
QUT has a wide range of specialist research and teaching areas that are distributed between the faculties and institutes in Business, Creative Industries, Education, Health, Law and finally Science and Engineering fields.
To assist industry and other organizations who work with QUT, the University operates the Division of Research and Commercialisation who manages consultancy, contract research and collaboration deals to provide solutions to real world problems. In 2006 QUT founded bluebox, to manage QUT’s Intellectual Property portfolio and develop QUT’s innovation pipeline.
At bluebox we work closely with the Division of Research and Commercialisation to ensure that high-impact research and innovation is achieved at QUT. bluebox is passionate about enhancing the overall impact of QUT research through facilitating the transfer and commercial uptake of QUT innovations to the real world.
Learn more about some of QUT’s opportunities which are currently managed by bluebox by browsing the innovation portfolio.